Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie über eines tiefen Brunnens Rand, So fallen Tage mir und Nächte nun Leer, ohne Lust noch Leid noch Lied noch Tun Gleich welken Sommerrosen aus der Hand. Ich achte nicht, wie mir die Zeit vergeht, Ich sehe nur, wie meiner Liebe Stern Weitab gewendet schattenhaft und fern Am bleichen Himmel meines Lebens steht.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 89.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Ohne Liebe", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Beckert , "Ohne Liebe", op. 382 (1947) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand Gerhardt , "Ohne Liebe" [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Hasse (1883 - 1960), "Ohne Liebe", op. 98 (Sieben Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse) no. 1 (1949) [ mezzo-soprano, alto, or baritone and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walther Hecklinger , "Ohne Liebe", 1929 [ voice and piano ], from Hesse-Lieder, no. 6 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Ohne Liebe", op. 2 (Neun Lieder) no. 8, published 1917 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Philippine Schick (1893 - 1970), "Ohne Liebe ", op. 29 no. 1, published 1937 [ soprano and piano ], from Vom Frieden der Liebe, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Zabel , "Ohne Liebe ", <<1949 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, subsequently removed from the cycle [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Without love", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Sans amour", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 54
As over the edge of a deep well, Days and nights now fall from my hand -- Empty, neither with joy nor pain nor song nor action -- Like wilting summer roses. I do not heed how time passes for me, I only see how the star of my love, Turned far away from me, shadow-like and distant, Stands upon the pale sky of my life.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Ohne Liebe", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2019-05-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 64