Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Erlaube mir, feins Mädchen, In den Garten zu gehn, Daß ich dort mag schauen, Wie die Rosen so schön. Erlaube sie zu brechen, Es ist die höchste Zeit; Ihre Schönheit, ihr Jugend Hat mir mein Herz erfreut. O Mädchen, o Mädchen, Du einsames Kind, Wer hat den Gedanken Ins Herz dir gezinnt, Daß ich soll den Garten, Die Rosen nicht sehn? Du gefällst meinen Augen, Das muß ich gestehn.
About the headline (FAQ)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Erlaube mir, feins Mädchen", WoO. 33 no. 2, published , from Deutsche Volkslieder, no. 2, Berlin, N. Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Erlaube mir, feins Mädchen", WoO. posth. 38 no. 4 (1859-62) [SSAA chorus a cappella], from 20 Deutsche Volkslieder, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Erlaube mir", WoO. posth. 35 no. 3 (1863/4?) [SATB chorus], from Deutsche Volkslieder für gemischten Chor, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Allow me, fair maiden", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Permettimi, bella fanciulla", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Laisse-moi, douce jeune fille", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-03-20 17:30:05
Line count: 16
Word count: 69
Allow me, fair maiden, to walk in the garden, there to gaze at the roses so beautiful. Allow me to pick one, It is about time; Her beauty, her youth is my heart's delight. Oh maiden, oh maiden, so unsuspecting a child, Who inspired Your heart to think That I should neither see the garden, Nor the roses? You're a pleasure to mine eyes, That I must confess.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2008-02-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:36
Line count: 16
Word count: 68