Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Художник-варвар кистью сонной Картину гения чернит И свой рисунок беззаконный Над ней бессмысленно чертит. Но краски чуждые с летами Спадают ветхой чешуёй; Созданье гения пред нами Выходит с прежней красотой. Так исчезают заблужденья С измученной души моей, И возникают в ней виденья Первоначальных, чистых дней.
- by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Boris Alexandrovich Arapov (1905 - 1992), "Возрождение", op. 7 (Романсы на стихи А. С. Пушкина = Romansy na stikhi A. S. Pushkina) no. 1 (1936-7). [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Возрождение", op. 46 no. 1 (1936). [bass and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Tom Kennedy) , title 1: "Rebirth", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Renaissance", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:46
Line count: 12
Word count: 45
An artist-barbarian with his lazy brush Blackens the painting of a genius And senselessly he covers it with His own illegitimate drawing. But with the passing years, the alien colours Fall off like threadbare scales; The creation of the genius emerges before us in its former beauty Thus vanish the illusions From my tormented soul And in it appear visions Of original and innocent times.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2008 by Tom Kennedy, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2008-02-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:37
Line count: 12
Word count: 65