Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Художник-варвар кистью сонной Картину гения чернит И свой рисунок беззаконный Над ней бессмысленно чертит. Но краски чуждые с летами Спадают ветхой чешуёй; Созданье гения пред нами Выходит с прежней красотой. Так исчезают заблужденья С измученной души моей, И возникают в ней виденья Первоначальных, чистых дней.
- by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Boris Alexandrovich Arapov (1905 - 1992), "Возрождение", op. 7 (Романсы на стихи А. С. Пушкина = Romansy na stikhi A. S. Pushkina) no. 1 (1936-7). [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
- by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich (1906 - 1975), "Возрождение", op. 46 no. 1 (1936). [bass and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Tom Kennedy) , title 1: "Rebirth", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Renaissance", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 45
An artist-barbarian with his lazy brush Blackens the painting of a genius And senselessly he covers it with His own illegitimate drawing. But with the passing years, the alien colours Fall off like threadbare scales; The creation of the genius emerges before us in its former beauty Thus vanish the illusions From my tormented soul And in it appear visions Of original and innocent times.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2008 by Tom Kennedy, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 65