Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich bin meiner Mutter einzig Kind, Und weil die andern ausblieben sind, Was weiß ich wieviel, die sechs oder sieben, Ist eben alles an mir hängen blieben; Ich hab' müssen die Liebe, die Treue, die Güte Für ein ganz halb Dutzend allein aufessen, Ich will's mein Lebtag nicht vergessen. Es hätte mir aber noch wohl mögen frommen, Hätt' ich nur auch Schläg' für Sechse bekommen.
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Selbstgeständnis" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Leo Blech (1871 - 1958), "Selbstgeständnis", op. 27 no. 6, copyright © 1924 [ voice and piano ], from Neun Liedchen großen und kleinen Kindern vorzusingen, Fünfte Folge, no. 6, Universal Edition [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann Heiss (1897 - 1966), "Selbstgeständnis" [ voice and instrument (?) ], from Mutterlieder, no. 5 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Selbstgeständnis", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 52 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Confessió", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "Confession", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Confession", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Aveu spontané", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Confessione", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Gerardo Garciacano Hinojosa) (Simone von Büren) , "Confesión", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 65
I am my mother's only child because the others did not stay, I don't know how many, six or seven, Everything centred on where I was; My duty; the love, the loyalty, the kindness for a half-dozen, alone to eat up, I will my whole life not forget that. It would have probably made me still more pious had I also received the smacks for six as well.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-23
Line count: 9
Word count: 68