Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
In der Freie will ich leben. In dem Sarge dumpft der Tod. Sieh nur dort das Abendroth Um die heitern Hügel weben. In der Freie blüht das Leben, In der Enge hockt die Noth. Eilt, drum eilt hinaus zu streben, Eh das Herz zu stocken droht! Licht und Luft und Raum ist noth. In der Freie will ich leben. Traute Vögel, laßt uns schweben, Folgsam der Natur Gebot.
Confirmed with Blätter von Karl Lappe. Erstes Heft. Lied und Leben. Stralsund, 1824. Gedruckt in der Königl. Regierungs-Buchdruckerei, page 76; and with Karl Lappe's sämmtliche poetische Werke. Ausgabe letzter Hand. Erster Theil. Rostock, Verlag von J. M. Oeberg. 1836, page 60.
First published in an different version, see below.
- by Karl Gottlieb Lappe (1773 - 1843), "Flucht", first published 1815 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Flucht", op. 64 no. 3, D 825B (1825) [ ttbb quartet ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Partença", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Vlucht", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Escape", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Fred Küttner , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-06-13
Line count: 12
Word count: 68
I want to live in freedom, Death decays in the coffin. Just look there at the sunset Weaving around the cheerful hills. Life blossoms in freedom, Danger lurks in confinement. Hurry, so hurry to struggle out, Before your heart risks coming to a stop! There is a need for light and air and space. I want to live in freedom. Dearest birds, let us soar away, Faithful to nature's commandment.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl Gottlieb Lappe (1773 - 1843), "Flucht", first published 1815
This text was added to the website: 2019-11-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 70