Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
In den Lüften schwellendes Gedröhne, Leicht wie Halme beugt der Wind die Töne: Leis verhallen, die zum ersten riefen, Neu Geläute hebt sich aus den Tiefen. Große Heere, nicht ein einzler Rufer! Wohllaut flutet ohne Strand und Ufer.
- by Conrad Ferdinand Meyer (1825 - 1898), "Neujahrsglocken" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Willy Burkhard (1900 - 1955), "Neujahrsglocken", op. 22, Heft 2 (Chor-Duette nach Gedichten von C. F. Meyer) no. 3 (1928). [mixed chorus and violin] [text not verified]
- by Armin Schibler (1920 - 1986), "Neujahrsglocken", op. 48 no. 14 (1956-8) [soli, mixed chorus, men's chorus, and orchestra], from the oratorio Media in vita, no. 14. [text verified 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Neujahrsglocken", op. 60 no. 17 (1946) [medium voice and piano], from Das stille Leuchten: Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Conrad Ferdinand Meyer, no. 17, Wien: Universal Edition [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Peter Palmer) , title 1: "New Year Bells", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Caroline Diehl
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 38
Upon the winds a clangor grows, like slender stalks they bend the notes: No sooner stilled, those early bells, from down below new ringing swells. Whole legions, not just single sounds! The surging music knows no bounds.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Peter Palmer, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Conrad Ferdinand Meyer (1825 - 1898), "Neujahrsglocken"
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 37