Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein schöner Stern! ich bitte dich, O lasse du dein heitres Licht Nicht trüben durch den Dampf in mir, Vielmehr den Dampf in mir zu Licht, Mein schöner Stern, verklären hilf! Mein schöner Stern! ich bitte dich, Nicht senk' herab zur Erde dich, Weil du mich noch hier unten siehst, Heb' auf vielmehr zum Himmel mich, Mein schöner Stern, wo du schon bist!
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 1. Erster Strauß. Erwacht, no. 35 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Adolph, Baron von Lauer-Münchhofen (1796 - 1874), "Mein schöner Stern ", op. 5 (Sechs Lieder von Friedrich Rückert) no. 1 [ voice and piano ], Berlin: Trautwein [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Mein schöner Stern", op. 101 no. 4 (1849), published 1852 [ tenor and piano ], from Minnespiel, no. 4, Leipzig, Whistling [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Formosa estrella meva", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Mijn mooie ster", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "My radiant star", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Stella mia cara", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 63
My radiant star, I beg you, Oh do not let your bright light Be dimmed by the mists in me. Rather help transfigure the mists in me Into light, my radiant star! My radiant star, I beg you, Do not descend to earth Because you see me down here still. Rather lift me up to heaven, My radiant star, where you already are!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Lyrische Gedichte, in 3. Liebesfrühling, in 1. Erster Strauß. Erwacht, no. 35
This text was added to the website: 2009-10-01
Line count: 10
Word count: 63