Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
The eyes that mock me sign the way Whereto I pass at eve of day, Grey way whose violet signals are The trysting and the twining star. Ah star of evil! star of pain! Highhearted youth comes not again Nor old heart's wisdom yet to know The signs that mock me as I go.
About the headline (FAQ)First published in Anglo-French Review, August 1919
- by James Joyce (1882 - 1941), "Bahnhofstrasse", written 1918, appears in Pomes Penyeach, no. 12 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Stanley Richard Bate (1913 - 1959), "Bahnhofstrasse", published 1951 [low voice and piano], from Five Songs [text not verified]
- by David Del Tredici (b. 1937), "Bahnhofstrasse", 1959, rev. 1978, first performed 1983, from Two Songs on Poems of James Joyce, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
- by Robin Field (b. 1935), "The eyes that mock me sign the way", 1967 [tenor, oboe, and string quartet], from The sly reeds whisper [text not verified]
- by John Gruen (b. 1927), "Bahnhofstrasse" [voice and piano] [text not verified]
- by Charles Wilfred Orr (1893 - 1976), "Bahnhofstrasse", published 1933 [tenor and piano], from The Joyce Book, no. 12. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Bahnhofstrasse", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:36
Line count: 8
Word count: 54
Les yeux qui se moquent de moi me montrent le chemin Où je passe au coucher du jour. Ce chemin gris dont les signaux violets sont L'étoile du rendez-vous et de l'enlacement. Ô étoile du démon ! étoile de la douleur ! La jeunesse au grand cœur ne revient pas. Ni la sagesse du vieux cœur pour connaître Les signaux qui se moquent de moi quand je passe.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2009 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by James Joyce (1882 - 1941), "Bahnhofstrasse", written 1918, appears in Pomes Penyeach, no. 12
Text added to the website: 2009-11-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:27
Line count: 8
Word count: 68