Sonata Chorus Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness: according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences. Soprano and Tenor. Duet Wash me thoroughly from my wickedness: and cleanse me from my sin. Tenor For I acknowledge my faults: and my sin is ever before me. Tenor Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear'd when thou art judg'd. Chorus Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness: that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Soprano Make me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence: and take not thy holy spirit from me. O give me the comfort of thy help again: and stablish me with thy free Spirit. Chorus Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked: and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts [an adaptation] [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Chandos Anthem no. 3: Have mercy upon me, O God" [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , from lines 1-2 [an adaptation] DUT FIN FRE GER SPA ; composed by William Byrd.
- Also set in English, a translation by Nicholas Brady (1659 - 1726) [an adaptation] FIN FRE GER SPA and by Nahum Tate (1652 - 1715) [an adaptation] FIN FRE GER SPA ; composed by Charles Edward Ives.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation possibly by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG ENG ENG FIN FRE FRE SPA and possibly by Christian Friedrich Henrici (1700 - 1764) ENG ENG ENG FIN FRE FRE SPA ; composed by Johann Sebastian Bach.
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-02-22
Line count: 29
Word count: 162