Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Rose stand im Tau, es waren Perlen grau, als Sonne sie beschienen, wurden sie zu Rubinen.
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Pantheon, in 5. Fünftes Bruchstück. Zahme Xenien, in Vierzeilen, no. 8 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Die Rose stand im Tau", op. 65 no. 1 (1847), published 1849 [ TTBBB chorus ], from Ritornelle in canonischen Weisen, no. 1, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "La rosa coberta de rosada", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De roos stond in de dauw", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La rose se dressait dans la rosée", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Coperte di rugiada", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Dr. Gerrit den Hartogh
This text was added to the website: 2004-07-03
Line count: 4
Word count: 17
La rosa estava coberta de rosada, les gotes eren com perles de color gris, il·luminades per el sol, es transformaren en robins.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2020 by Salvador Pila, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Pantheon, in 5. Fünftes Bruchstück. Zahme Xenien, in Vierzeilen, no. 8
This text was added to the website: 2020-11-13
Line count: 4
Word count: 22