Warum doch erschallen himmelwärts die Lieder? Zögen gerne nieder Sterne, die droben Blinken und wallen, Zögen sich Lunas Lieblich Umarmen, Zögen die warmen, Wonnigen Tage Seliger Götter Gern uns herab!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), appears in Was wir bringen [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Warum?", op. 92 (Vier Quartette) no. 4 (<<1884), published 1884 [satb chorus and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Aus dem Vorspiel: Was wir bringen", published 1802. [vocal trio of female voices and piano or harp] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Why then do songs resound heavenwards?", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Pourquoi", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 11
Word count: 30