Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wohl wandert' ich aus in trauriger Stund, Es weinte die Liebe so sehr. Der Fuß ist mir lahm, die Schulter mir wund, Das Herz, das ist mir so schwer. Was singt ihr, ihr Vögel, im Morgenlicht? Ihr wißt nicht, wie Scheiden tut! Es drücken euch Sorgen und Schuhe nicht; Ihr Vögel, ihr habt es gut!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 1 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Pache (1857 - 1897), "Wohl wandert' ich aus in trauriger Stund'", op. 49 no. 1, published 1887 [men's chorus a cappella], from Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 1, Leipzig, W. Dietrich [text not verified]
- by Julius Siegert , "Wohl wandert ich aus", op. 2 no. 1, published 1876 [voice and piano], from Wanderlieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 1, Berlin, Challier & Co. [text not verified]
- by Elisabeth Urtel , "Auf der Wanderschaft", 1911. [text verified 1 time]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Auf der Wanderschaft", 1878. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "On a wandering journey", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
I set off a-wandering in a sad hour, My love wept ever so much. My feet are lame, my shoulders chafed, My heart, it is so heavy. Why do you sing, you birds, in the morning light? You do not know how parting makes one feel! Anxieties do not press down upon you, your shoes do not pinch; You birds, you are so fortunate!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, no. 1
This text was added to the website: 2010-12-27
Line count: 8
Word count: 64