Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
"Dem Auge fern, dem Herzen nah!" Als ich die alte Grabschrift sah Im eingesunknen Marmorstein, Da fiel mein totes Lieb mir ein. O Gott, ich schrieb schon tausendmal Das gleiche Lied aus gleicher Qual, Und war doch keins wie dieses da: "Dem Auge fern, dem Herzen nah!"
- by Ludwig Jacobowski (1868 - 1900) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Grabschrift", 1904 [voice and piano], from the collection Jugendlieder, Vol. I (1901-04), no. 31. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Jean-Pierre Granger) , title 1: "Épitaphe", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Jean-Pierre Granger) , title 1: "Epitaph", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jakob Kellner
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:35
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
« Far from the eyes, close to the heart » As I saw that epitaph Deeply engraved in the marblestone, The memory of my deceased love came back to me Oh my God ! I have already written a thousand times The same song of that same torment, And none was like this one : « Far from the eyes, close to the heart ! »
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Jean-Pierre Granger, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Jean-Pierre Granger.  Contact: trazom69 (AT) hotmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2011-04-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:18
Line count: 8
Word count: 66