Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ach, was ist Leben doch so schwer, [Wenn]1, was Du lieb hast, ist nicht mehr! Aber sei still! Weil Gott es will. Ach, was ist Sterben doch so schwer, [Wenn]1, was Du lieb hast, weint umher. Aber sei still! Weil Gott es will. Ach, Leben, Sterben wär' nicht schwer, Wenn unser Herz nur stille wär'! Darum sei still! Weil Gott es will.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Zwei Menschenalter. Erinnerungen und Briefe, herausgegeben von Adelheid von Schorn, Berlin: S. Fischer Verlag, 1901, page 191 Liszt: "Wann"
- by Henriette Wilhelmine Auguste von Schorn (1807 - 1869), as Henriette Nordheim, no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Eduard Lassen (1830 - 1904), "Sei stille", op. 71 (Sechs Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 2, published 1881 [voice and piano], Breslau, Hainauer [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Sei still", S. 330 (1877-9), published 1879 [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Joseph) Joachim Raff (1822 - 1882), "Sei still", op. 173 (Acht Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 8 (1868-70), published 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Seitz [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Virginia Knight , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-05-01 15:22:35
Line count: 12
Word count: 62
Ah, how hard it is to live, When those you love are no longer there! But be still! Because God wills it. Ah, how hard it is to die, When those you love are weeping all about you. But be still! Because God wills it. Ah, living and dying would not be difficult If our heart could only be still! Therefore, be still! Because God wills it.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Sei stille" = "Be still"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Henriette Wilhelmine Auguste von Schorn (1807 - 1869), as Henriette Nordheim, no title
Text added to the website: 2011-05-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-08-27 21:54:14
Line count: 12
Word count: 67