Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Schönheit ist den Kindern eigen, Ist Gottes Ebenbild vielleicht; Ihr Eigentum ist Ruh und Schweigen, Das Engeln auch zum Lob gereicht.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 - 1843), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes", appears in Gedichte 1806-1843 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Olivier Greif (1950 - 2000), "Die Schönheit", op. 270 no. 4 (1991) [voice and piano], from Wie Vögel…, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes", from Hölderlin-Lieder: Zweiter Zyklus, no. 10. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "On the death of a child", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "La beauté", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 22
Beauty belongs to the children, It is perhaps the image of God; They possess a calm and silence That would be praiseworthy even among angels.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Hölderlin (1770 - 1843), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes", appears in Gedichte 1806-1843
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-23
Line count: 4
Word count: 25