Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Der schönste Cherub kommt; mit weitweißen sanften Schwingen schimmert er durchs Dunkel: kalt, starr und schaurig und süß wie der Wille Gottes, heimatliederumraunt.
- by Johannes Schlaf (1862 - 1941) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Winter", 1905 [voice and piano], from the collection Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 49. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Hiver", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , title 1: "Vinter", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Virginia Knight
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:49
Line count: 6
Word count: 23
Le plus beau des Chérubins arrive ; avec des ailes larges, blanches, douces, il brille à travers l'obscurité : froid, immobile, et terrible et doux comme la volonté de Dieu, chuchotant des chants de la patrie.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2011-06-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:25
Line count: 6
Word count: 36