Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
ζὰ δ' ἐλεξάμαν ὄναρ Κυπρογενηα
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Traumlied", 1993-5, first performed 1995 [mezzo-soprano and piano], from Sieben Lieder der Sappho, no. 2, Mainz, Schott [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) ENG ENG FRE ; composed by Luigi Dallapiccola.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2008-01-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:57
Line count: 1
Word count: 5
Dans mon rêve j'ai parlé à la déesse de Chypre.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Aeolic Greek to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2011-06-25 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:26
Line count: 1
Word count: 10