Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Bara du går över markerna, lever var källa, sjunger var tuva ditt namn. Skyarna brinna och parkerna susa och fälla lövet som guld i din famn. Och vid de skummiga stränderna hör jag din stämmas vaggande vågsorl till tröst. Räck mig de älskade händerna. Mörkret skall skrämmas. Kvalet skall släppa mitt bröst. Bara du går över ängarna, bara jag ser dig vandra i fjärran förbi, darra de eviga strängarna. Säg mig vem ger dig makten som blir melodi?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Bo Bergman (1869 - 1967) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Melodi", op. 30 no. 3 [voice and piano], from Hjärtat: sånger till dikter av Bo Bergman, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Bernhard Lilja (1895 - 1984), "Melodi", 1929. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gustaf Nordqvist (1886 - 1949), "Melodi", 1917 [voice and piano], from Lyrik : sju sånger, no. 1. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wilhelm Peterson-Berger (1867 - 1942), "Melodi", 1919, from Två dikter, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ture Rangström (1884 - 1947), "Melodi", 1917, from Fem dikter, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karin Rehnqvist (b. 1957), "Bara du går över markerna" [mixed chorus] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wilhelm (Vilhelm) Eugen Stenhammar (1871 - 1927), "Melodi", 1917. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anna Hersey) , "Melody", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 18
Word count: 78
You just walk across the meadows, and every spring comes to life, every tuft of grass sings your name. The clouds burn and the trees whistle and drop leaves like gold in your lap. And by the foamy shores I hear your comforting voice rocking in a wave's murmur. Stretch out your beloved hands. Darkness shall be frightened away. Torment will leave my breast. You just walk across the meadows, I just see you wander in the distance, and those eternal strains tremble. Tell me who gives you the power which becomes this melody?
- Translation from Swedish (Svenska) to English copyright © 2011 by Anna Hersey, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Anna Hersey.  Contact: hersey (DOT) anna (AT) gmail (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
This text was added to the website: 2011-08-02
Line count: 18
Word count: 94