Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
De sidste gæster vi fulgte til grinden; farvellets rester tog nattevinden. I tifold öde lå haven og huset, Hvor toner söde Mig nys berused. Det var en fest kun för natten den sorte; Hun var en gæst kun, -- og nu er hun borte.
- by Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906), "Borte!", written 1871, appears in Digte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Eyvind Alnæs (1872 - 1932), "Borte" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Edvard Grieg (1843 - 1907), "Borte", op. 25 (Seks digt af Henrik Ibsen) no. 5 (1876), published 1876 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Kjell Habbestad (b. 1955), "Borte" [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Victor Emanuel Bendix.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Nigel Parker) , "Gone", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Partie !", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) [singable] (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "Geschieden"
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 43
We accompanied the last guests to the gate, our goodbyes died away on the night wind. Garden and house were completely quiet, where sweet sounds had earlier entranced me. It was only a party, and now it is night. She was only a guest, and now she is gone.
- Translation from Norwegian (Bokmål) to English copyright © 2011 by Nigel Parker, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Norwegian (Bokmål) by Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906), "Borte!", written 1871, appears in Digte
This text was added to the website: 2011-08-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 49