Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Liebesqual verschmäht mein Herz, Sanften Jammer, süßen Schmerz; Nur vom Tücht'gen will ich wissen, Heißem [Äuglen]1, derben Küssen. Sei ein armer Hund erfrischt Von der Lust, mit Pein gemischt! Mädchen, gib der frischen Brust Nichts von Pein und alle Lust.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Wolf: "Äugeln"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Frech und froh", appears in Epigrammatisch [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Frech und froh II", published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 17, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , no title, copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Insolent et joyeux", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Insolente e allegro II", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Sdegna il mio cuore ogni pena d'amore, ogni lieve lamento, ogni dolce dolore; Amo soltanto i forti sentimenti, i baci profondi, le occhiate ardenti. Che un povero cane si accontenti pure del piacere accompagnato al dolore. Ragazza mia, a ogni giovane cuore non regalare pene, ma soltanto piacere.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Frech und froh", appears in Epigrammatisch
Text added to the website: 2012-02-05 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:46
Line count: 8
Word count: 48