Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Er liegt und schläft an meinem Herzen, Mein guter [Schutzgeist]1 sang ihn ein; Und ich kann frölich seyn und scherzen, Kann jeder Blum' und jedes Blatts mich freun. [Nachtigall,]2 Nachtigall, ach! Sing mir den Amor nicht wach!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with ASMUS omnia sua SECUM portans, oder Sämmtliche Werke des Wandsbecker Bothen, I. und II. Theil. Beym Verfasser, und in Commißion bey Fr. Perthes in Hamburg. , page 56; and with Musenalmanach MDCCLXXII. Göttingen bey J.C.Dieterich, page 21.
First published in Der Wandsbecker Bothe. Ao. 1771. No. 70. Mittwochs, den 1sten May.1 Claudius (Wandsbecker Bote; Musenalmanach): "Engel"
2 Schubert: "Nachtigall, ach!"
- by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "An die Nachtigall", first published 1771 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "An die Nachtigall", 2013 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Glück" [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "An die Nachtigall", op. 98 (Drei Lieder) no. 1, D 497 (1816), published 1829 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Aan de nachtegaal", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "He lies sleeping by my heart", copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , "To the nightingale", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au rossignol", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Mi giace, dormendo, sul cuore", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- TUR Turkish (Türkçe) (Gül Sabar) , "Bülbüle", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 37
Mi giace, dormendo, sul cuore, al canto del mio spirito protettore; E io posso essere allegro e scherzare e dilettarmi di ogni foglia o fiore. Usignolo, oh! Usignolo mio, non risvegliarmi, con il canto, l'amore!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "An die Nachtigall", first published 1771
This text was added to the website: 2012-04-30
Line count: 6
Word count: 35