Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tu pupila es azul y cuando ríes, Su claridad suave me recuerda El trémulo fulgor de la mañana Que en el mar se refleja. Tu pupila es azul, y cuando lloras, Las transparentes lágrimas en ella Se me figuran gotas de rocío Sobre una violeta. Tu pupila es azul, y si en su fondo Como un punto de luz radia una idea, Me parece en el cielo de la tarde ¡Una perdida estrella!
- by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), appears in Rimas, no. 13 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Tu pupila es azul", op. 81 no. 2 (1933), published 1935 [ soprano and piano ], from Tres poemas, no. 2, Madrid : UME [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Claycomb) , "Your eye is blue", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Tes yeux sont bleus", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Dein Augenstern ist blau", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 73
Your eye is blue, and when you laugh its soft brightness reminds me Of the shimmering glint of morning that is reflected in the sea. Your eye is blue, and when you cry, the transparent tears in it seem to me drops of dew upon a violet. Your eye is blue, and if in its depths like a point of light an idea radiates, it seems to me a lost star in the evening sky! Ah!
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2012 by Laura Claycomb, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, né Gustavo Adolfo Domínguez Bastida (1836 - 1870), appears in Rimas, no. 13
This text was added to the website: 2012-09-24
Line count: 12
Word count: 76