Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tenor-Solo und Vokalquarttet Die Peri weint, von ihrer Träne scheint Rings klar die Luft, der Himmel lacht. Denn in der Trän' ist Zaubermacht, Die solch ein Geist für Menschen weint.
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- by Emil Flechsig (1808 - 1878) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Die Peri weint, von ihrer Träne scheint", op. 50 no. 13 (1843), published 1844, from Das Paradies und die Peri, no. 13, Part II; Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "La Peri plora, per les seves llàgrimes sembla", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La Péri pleurait, de ses larmes brillait", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Scoppia in pianto la Peri", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2012-12-13
Line count: 5
Word count: 30
Tenore solo e Quartetto vocale Scoppia in pianto la Peri, e per le lacrime sembra farsi più pura l'aria là intorno, e sorridere il cielo. Perché sta annidata una magia nelle lacrime versate per gli uomini da un'anima così nobile.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856) and by Emil Flechsig (1808 - 1878)
This text was added to the website: 2013-05-13
Line count: 5
Word count: 40