Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nicht lange täuschte mich das Glück, Das du mir zugelogen, Dein Bild ist wie ein falscher Traum Mir durch das Herz gezogen. Der Morgen kam, die Sonne schien, Der Nebel ist zerronnen; Geendigt hatten wir schon längst, Eh wir noch kaum begonnen.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), no title, appears in Neue Gedichte, in Verschiedene, in Hortense, no. 6 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heike Beckmann (b. 1959), "Nicht lange täuschte mich das Glück" [text not verified]
- by Richard Farber (b. 1945), "Nicht lange täuschte mich das Glück" [voice and piano], from Hortense, no. 6. [text not verified]
- by Don Forsythe (b. 1932), "Nicht lange täuschte mich das Glück", 2007, published c2007-8 [high voice and piano], from Verschiedene : vol. 1, Seraphine-Hortense, no. 32. [text not verified]
- by Alma Mahler (1879 - 1964), "Nicht lange täuschte mich das Glück", lost; mentioned in her Tagebuch-Suiten, January 5, 1899 [text not verified]
- by Gertrude Normand-Smith , "Nichtlange wahrte mir das Glück" [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "Not long ago, I was deceived by happiness", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-11-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
Not long ago, I was deceived by happiness, Since you were lying to me, Your image is like a false dream That drifted through my heart. The morning came, the sun shone, The mist melted away; We had already reached our end before we had hardly started.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), no title, appears in Neue Gedichte, in Verschiedene, in Hortense, no. 6
This text was added to the website: 2013-06-21
Line count: 8
Word count: 47