Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Vor lauter hochadligen Zeugen copuliert man ihrer Zwei; die Orgel hängt voll Geigen, der Himmel nicht, mein' Treu! Seht doch, sie weint ja greulich, er macht ein Gesicht abscheulich! Denn leider freilich, freilich keine Lieb' ist nicht dabei.
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Fritz Schieri (b. 1922), "Bei einer Trauung", 1993. [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Bei einer Trauung", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 51. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A un casament", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "At a wedding", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "À un mariage", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "A une noce", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Un matrimonio", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Gerardo Garciacano Hinojosa) (Simone von Büren) , "En una boda", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Alla presenza di testimoni di antica nobiltà i due vengono uniti in matrimonio; Risuona l'organo in toni gioiosi, ma non esulta il cielo, in fede mia! Guardate, lei orribilmente piange, lui ha un aspetto spaventoso! Perché in verità, purtroppo, quello che manca è l'amore.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2013 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 44