Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O schick' mich nicht allein zum Brunnen fort; Klein bin ich, Mutter, weiß mich nicht zu wehren. Ein Knabe trifft mich auf dem Schulweg dort, Der schwur, er wolle mich das Küssen lehren. O Knabe, treib' es nicht zu arg; denn wisse: Klein bin ich, doch ich will dir's nicht vergessen, Und büßen sollst du einst für alle Küsse.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Paul Heyse, Italienisches Liederbuch, Berlin: Verlag von Wilhelm Hertz (Bessersche Buchhandlung), 1860, page 11.
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Latinisch, no. 23, first published 1860 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joseph Marx (1882 - 1964), "Am Brunnen", 1912 [ mezzo-soprano and piano or string quartet or orchestra ], from Italienisches Liederbuch, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexander Winterberger (1834 - 1914), "O schick mich nicht allein zum Brunnen fort", op. 43 (Volks-Poesien für 1 oder 2 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1875 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Kistner [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "At the well", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2010-02-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 59
Oh do not send me off all alone to the well; I am small, mother, and do not know how to defend myself. A boy meets me there on the way to school, He swore he wanted to teach me about kissing. Oh young lad, do not overdo it, for know this well: I am small, but I shall not forget what you did, And someday you shall pay for all the kisses.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Italienisches Liederbuch, in Rispetti, in Latinisch, no. 23, first published 1860
This text was added to the website: 2013-12-06
Line count: 7
Word count: 73