Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Chi mai di questo core Saprà le vie secrete, Se voi non le sapete, [Begli occhi]1 del mio ben? Voi che dal primo istante, Quando divenni amante, Il mio nascosto [amore]2 Mi conosceste in sen.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Poesie del Signor Abbate Pietro Metastasio. Poeta e Bibliotecario Cesareo, Tomo Sesto. Londra, 1774, pages 351-352.1 Donizetti: "Begl'occhi"
2 Donizetti: "foco"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Cantate, in 3. Il Trionfo della Gloria, in 14. Il Ritorno [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Chi mai di questo core", WoO. 99 no. 7 (1801-2) [ STB chorus a cappella ], from Mehrstimmige italienische Gesänge, no. 7, note: this was formerly number 2 in the set [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Luk Laerenbergh) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-12-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 35
Qui de ce cœur un jour Connaîtra les voies secrètes, Si vous ne les connaissez pas, Beaux yeux de mon amour ? Vous, qui dès le premier instant, Quand je suis devenu votre amant, Mon amour caché Vous le saviez dans mon cœur ?
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Chi mai di questo core" = "Qui de ce cœur un jour"
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Cantate, in 3. Il Trionfo della Gloria, in 14. Il Ritorno
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-03
Line count: 8
Word count: 44