Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Chi mai di questo core Saprà le vie secrete, Se voi non le sapete, [Begli occhi]1 del mio ben? Voi, che dal primo istante, Quando divenni amante, Il mio nascosto [amore]2 Mi conosceste in sen?
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Donizetti: "Begl'occhi"
2 Donizetti: "foco"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, from Il Ritorno, Cantata XIV [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Chi mai di questo core", WoO. 99 no. 2 (1801-2) [STB chorus a cappella], from Mehrstimmige italienische Gesänge, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Luk Laerenbergh) , title 1: "Who shall ever know", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , title unknown, copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Qui de ce cœur un jour", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2009-12-17 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 35
Qui de ce cœur un jour Connaîtra les voies secrètes, Si vous ne les connaissez pas, Beaux yeux de mon amour ? Vous, qui dès le premier instant, Quand je suis devenu votre amant, Mon amour caché Vous le saviez dans mon cœur ?
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, from Il Ritorno, Cantata XIV
Text added to the website: 2014-01-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:27
Line count: 8
Word count: 44