Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Von [waldbekränzter]1 Höhe Werf' ich den heißen Blick Der liebefeuchten Sehe Zur Flur, die dich umgrünt, zurück. Ich senk' ihn auf die Quelle -- Vermöcht' ich, ach, mit ihr Zu fließen eine Welle, Zurück, o Freund, zu dir, zu dir! Ich richt' ihn auf die Züge Der Wolken über mir -- Ach, flög' ich ihre Flüge, Zurück, o Freund, zu dir, zu dir! Wie wollt' ich dich umstricken, Mein Heil und meine Pein, Mit Lippen und mit Blicken, Mit Busen, Herz und Seele dein!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 in some versions of Daumer's poem: "***'s schöner"
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Anhang, no. 5, first published 1853 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Von waldbekränzter Höhe", op. 57 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 1 (<<1871), published 1872, first performed 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "From forest-crowned heights", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Des hauteurs couronnées de la forêt", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , title 1: "From mountain peaks crowned by the forest", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Van bosbekranste hoogten", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 82
From mountain peaks crowned by the forest, I cast the burning gaze of my eyes that glisten with love back to the pasture flourishing in green around you. I let my gaze descend to the stream, ah, if only I were able to splash along with it as a wave, back to you, to you my friend! I direct it to the procession of clouds that billow above me, ah, how I would fly with them, back to you, to you my friend! How I would ensnare you, you, my salvation and my suffering, with lips and with gazes, with my breast, heart, and soul -- yours!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee.  Contact: kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Anhang, no. 5, first published 1853
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-09
Line count: 16
Word count: 106