Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Von [waldbekränzter]1 Höhe Werf' ich den heißen Blick Der liebefeuchten Sehe Zur Flur, die dich umgrünt, zurück. Ich senk' ihn auf die Quelle -- Vermöcht' ich, ach, mit ihr Zu fließen eine Welle, Zurück, o Freund, zu dir, zu dir! Ich richt' ihn auf die Züge Der Wolken über mir -- Ach, flög' ich ihre Flüge, Zurück, o Freund, zu dir, zu dir! Wie wollt' ich dich umstricken, Mein Heil und meine Pein, Mit Lippen und mit Blicken, Mit Busen, Herz und Seele dein!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 in some versions of Daumer's poem: "***'s schöner"
- by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Anhang, no. 5, first published 1853 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Von waldbekränzter Höhe", op. 57 (Acht Lieder und Gesänge) no. 1 (<<1871), published 1872, first performed 1872 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "From forest-crowned heights", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Des hauteurs couronnées de la forêt", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , title 1: "From mountain peaks crowned by the forest", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Van bosbekranste hoogten", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:25
Line count: 16
Word count: 82
From mountain peaks crowned by the forest, I cast the burning gaze of my eyes that glisten with love back to the pasture flourishing in green around you. I let my gaze descend to the stream, ah, if only I were able to splash along with it as a wave, back to you, to you my friend! I direct it to the procession of clouds that billow above me, ah, how I would fly with them, back to you, to you my friend! How I would ensnare you, you, my salvation and my suffering, with lips and with gazes, with my breast, heart, and soul -- yours!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee.  Contact: kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Georg Friedrich Daumer (1800 - 1875), no title, appears in Frauenbilder und Huldigungen, in Anhang, no. 5, first published 1853
Text added to the website: 2014-01-09 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:27
Line count: 16
Word count: 106