Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie dir geschah, so soll's auch mir geschehn, Nur wo du hinkamst, will [auch ich]1 hingehn: Ich will ins Licht nur, wirst im Licht du sein, Bist du in Nacht, so will ich in die Nacht, Bist du in Pein, so will ich in die Pein. Von dir getrennt hab' ich mich nie gedacht, Zu dir, zu dir will ich allein, allein!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Würz: "ich auch"
- by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "Wie dir, so mir", appears in Winterblüten, in An Sie, nach Ihrem Tode, no. 11 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Clemens Erwein Heinrich Karl Bonaventura Freiherr von und zu Franckenstein (1875 - 1942), "Wie dir geschah", op. 46 (Vier Lieder) no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Gress (1893 - 1988), "Wie dir, so mir", op. 21 no. 2. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Luise Adolpha Le Beau (1850 - 1927), "Wie dir, so mir", op. 45 (Drei Lieder) no. 1 (1898), published 1898. [alto, violin, and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Würz (1885 - 1965), "Wie dir, so mir", 1918, published 1920, from Zehn Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2007-09-23
Line count: 7
Word count: 62
As it happened to you, thus shall it also happen to me, Only whither you went, shall I go: I only wish to go into the light if you will be in the light, If you are in night, then I wish to go into the night, If you are in anguish, then I wish to be in anguish. I have never imagined myself separated from you, To you, to you I solely, solely wish to go.
About the headline (FAQ)Translated titles:
"Wie dir geschah" = "As it happened to you"
"Wie dir, so mir" = "As you, thus I"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "Wie dir, so mir", appears in Winterblüten, in An Sie, nach Ihrem Tode, no. 11
This text was added to the website: 2014-05-26
Line count: 7
Word count: 77