Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie Melodien zieht es Mir leise durch den Sinn, Wie Frühlingsblumen blüht es, Und schwebt wie Duft dahin. Doch kommt das Wort und faßt es Und führt es vor das Aug', Wie Nebelgrau erblaßt es Und schwindet wie ein Hauch. Und dennoch ruht im Reime Verborgen wohl ein Duft, Den mild aus stillem Keime Ein feuchtes Auge ruft.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Klaus Groth's Gesammelte Werke. Vierter Band. Plattdeutsche Erzählungen - Hochdeutsche Gedichte, Kiel und Leipzig, Verlag von Lipsius & Tischer, 1893, page 177.
- by Klaus Groth (1819 - 1899), no title, appears in Hundert Blätter, Paralipomena zum Quickborn, in Erstes Fünfzig, in Klänge, no. 13, Hamburg, first published 1854 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wie Melodien zieht es mir", op. 105 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1 (1886), published 1888 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Wie Melodien zieht es mir", 1898? [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Stephen Jackson) , title 1: "Se mueve como una melodía", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "It moves like a melody", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Come una melodia", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , title 1: "Just like a melody", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Comme des mélodies", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Als melodieën gloeit het", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Leonard Lehrman) , title 1: "Like melodies", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Mar cheolta sí ag teacht chugam", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 58
As sweetest melodies it breezes So softly through the room With fragrance that so pleases As flow'rs of spring in bloom. But when attached to lyrics And captured as a prey It loses all its spirit And seems to melt away. And yet there does remain in rhyming A hidden fragrance dear Which quietly, with timing, Can still provoke a tear.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Leonard Lehrman, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Leonard Lehrman.  Contact: ljlehrman (AT) nassaulibrary (DOT) org
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Klaus Groth (1819 - 1899), no title, appears in Hundert Blätter, Paralipomena zum Quickborn, in Erstes Fünfzig, in Klänge, no. 13, Hamburg, first published 1854
This text was added to the website: 2015-07-06
Line count: 12
Word count: 61