Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie Melodien zieht es Mir leise durch den Sinn, Wie Frühlingsblumen blüht es, Und schwebt wie Duft dahin. Doch kommt das Wort und faßt es Und führt es vor das Aug', Wie Nebelgrau erblaßt es Und schwindet wie ein Hauch. Und dennoch ruht im Reime Verborgen wohl ein Duft, Den mild aus stillem Keime Ein feuchtes Auge ruft.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Klaus Groth's Gesammelte Werke. Vierter Band. Plattdeutsche Erzählungen - Hochdeutsche Gedichte, Kiel und Leipzig, Verlag von Lipsius & Tischer, 1893, page 177.
- by Klaus Groth (1819 - 1899), no title, appears in Hundert Blätter, Paralipomena zum Quickborn, in Erstes Fünfzig, in Klänge, no. 13, Hamburg, first published 1854 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Wie Melodien zieht es mir", op. 105 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1 (1886), published 1888 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
- by Charles Edward Ives (1874 - 1954), "Wie Melodien zieht es mir", 1898? [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Stephen Jackson) , title 1: "Se mueve como una melodía", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "It moves like a melody", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Come una melodia", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Shula Keller) , title 1: "Just like a melody", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Comme des mélodies", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Als melodieën gloeit het", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Leonard Lehrman) , title 1: "Like melodies", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , title 1: "Mar cheolta sí ag teacht chugam", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 58
Just like a melody to draw me So gently through my mind As flowers in the Springtime As fragrance floating by - (2) But when imprisoned in the poem That rests before my eyes, To misty gray it fa-des Like vapor from my breath (2) And still, aroma from my verses Will linger in the buds Then softly come unbound All myst'ries to unfold -- so softly 'fore my eyes, unfold (2).
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Shula Keller, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Klaus Groth (1819 - 1899), no title, appears in Hundert Blätter, Paralipomena zum Quickborn, in Erstes Fünfzig, in Klänge, no. 13, Hamburg, first published 1854
This text was added to the website: 2008-05-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 71