Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Assumpta est Maria in caelum: Gaudent Angeli laudantes benedicunt Dominum. Gaudete et exultate omnes recti corde quia hodie Maria Virgo cum Christo regnat in aeternum! Alleluja... Alleluja!
C. Gesualdo sets stanza 1
About the headline (FAQ)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613) and by Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971), "Assumpta est Maria", stanza 1, from Tres sacrae cantiones, no. 2, completed by Igor Stravinsky [text not verified]
- by Giorgio Federico Ghedini (1892 - 1965), "Assumpta est Maria in coelum", 1930 [duet], from Quattro Duetti su testi sacri, no. 4. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Marie est montée au ciel", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Guy Laffaille [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-26
Line count: 7
Word count: 27
Marie est montée au ciel : Les anges se réjouissent en louanges Et célèbrent le Seigneur. Réjouissez-vous et sautez de joie, vous tous, les cœurs droits parce qu'aujourd'hui la vierge Marie avec le Christ règne dans l'éternité ! Alléluia... Alléluia !
- Translation from Latin to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-11
Line count: 7
Word count: 41