Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
La elipse de un grito, va de monte a monte. Desde los olivos, será un arco iris negro sobre la noche azul. ¡Ay! Como un arco de viola, el grito ha hecho vibrar largas cuerdas del viento. ¡Ay! (Las gentes de las cuevas asoman sus velones) ¡Ay!
- by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "El grito", appears in Poema del Cante Jondo, in Poema de la siguiriya gitana , first published 1921 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carmen Cavallaro (b. 1947), "El grito", published 2000 [SATB chorus a cappella], from Dos Poemas from Federico García Lorca's Poema de la Siguiriya Gitana, no. 1. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Einojuhani Rautavaara (1928 - 2016), "El grito", published 2000 [SATB chorus a cappella], from Lorca Sarja (Lorca Suite), no. 2. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Anonymous/Unidentified Artist) , "The cry"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le cri", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Der Schrei", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Hein Calis
This text was added to the website: 2009-09-13
Line count: 14
Word count: 47
L'ellipse d'un cri va de mont à mont. Des oliviers monte un arc-en-ciel noir sur la nuit azur. Ay ! Comme un arc de viole le cri fait vibrer les longues cordes du vent. Ay ! (les gens des grottes penchent leurs bougies) Ay !
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to French (Français) copyright © 2016 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "El grito", appears in Poema del Cante Jondo, in Poema de la siguiriya gitana , first published 1921
This text was added to the website: 2016-01-09
Line count: 14
Word count: 45