Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
E stati alquanto come bimbi persi, Noi ritrovammo entrambi la favella. Ed io così m'apersi A Biondinella. Son ito a navigar molta marina E n'ho vedute, delle belle, assai; Ma come te, Biondina, Oh, no! Giammai. Se fui cortese a niuna in altri lidi D'un sorrisetto, d'un sospir, d'un fiore, A te, quando ti vidi, Ho dato il core.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "E stati alquanto", CG. 343 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 5, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Having been, for awhile", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2004-08-03
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
Having been, for awhile, lost children, We regained the power of speech. And so I opened my [heart] To Biondinella. “I have sailed many seas And I’ve seen many beauties; But [as fair] as you, Biondina, Oh, no! Never. “Even though I courted none on other shores With a quick smile, a sigh, or a flower, To you, when I saw you, I gave my heart.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giuseppe Zaffira (flourished 1868-1886), no title
This text was added to the website: 2016-02-08
Line count: 12
Word count: 66