Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
E stati alquanto come bimbi persi, Noi ritrovammo entrambi la favella. Ed io così m'apersi A Biondinella. Son ito a navigar molta marina E n'ho vedute, delle belle, assai; Ma come te, Biondina, Oh, no! Giammai. Se fui cortese a niuna in altri lidi D'un sorrisetto, d'un sospir, d'un fiore, A te, quando ti vidi, Ho dato il core.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Giuseppe Zaffira , no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Gounod (1818 - 1893), "E stati alquanto", CG. 343 (1872) [voice and piano], from Biondina, poème musical, no. 5, also set in French (Français) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by (Paul) Jules Barbier (1825 - 1901) ENG ; composed by Charles Gounod.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Having been, for awhile", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
Text added to the website: 2004-08-03 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:05
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
Having been, for awhile, lost children, We regained the power of speech. And so I opened my [heart] To Biondinella. “I have sailed many seas And I’ve seen many beauties; But [as fair] as you, Biondina, Oh, no! Never. “Even though I courted none on other shores With a quick smile, a sigh, or a flower, To you, when I saw you, I gave my heart.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-02-08 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-02-08 17:32:36
Line count: 12
Word count: 66