Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Eine Liebe kenn ich, die ist treu, War getreu, solang ich sie gefunden, Hat mit tiefem Seufzen immer neu, Stets versöhnlich, sich mit mir verbunden. Welcher einst mit himmlischem Gedulden Bitter bittern Todestropfen trank, Hing am Kreuz und büßte mein Verschulden, Bis es in ein Meer von Gnade sank. Und was ist's nun, daß ich traurig bin, Daß ich angstvoll mich am Boden winde? Frage: Hüter, ist die Nacht bald hin? Und: was rettet mich von Tod und Sünde? Arges Herze! Ja gesteh' es nur, Du hast wieder böse Lust empfangen; Frommer Liebe, frommer Treue Spur, Ach, das ist auf lange nun vergangen. Ja, daß ist's auch, daß ich traurig bin, Daß ich angstvoll mich am Boden winde! Hüter, Hüter, ist die Nacht bald hin? Und was rettet mich von Tod und Sünde?
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "Wo find ich Trost" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "Wo find' ich Trost", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 1, published 1868 [ low voice and piano ], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Wo find' ich Trost", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 31 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "On puc trobar conhort", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Where do I find comfort", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Où vais-je trouver le réconfort ?", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Où trouver la consolation ?", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Dove potrò trovare conforto", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:42
Line count: 20
Word count: 133
One love I know that is faithful, That has been faithful through all the time since I found it, That with deep sighs has ever anew, Always forgivingly, allied itself to me. He, who once with heavenly patience, Drank the bitter, bitter drops of death, Hung upon the cross and atoned for my transgressions Until they sank into a sea of mercy. And what is happening now, why I am sad? Why do I anxiously writhe upon the ground? Asking: Watchman, is the night soon over? And: What shall save me from death and sin? Erring heart! Yes, only admit it, You have again conceived evil passions; Pious love, the track of pious faithfulness, Ah, those have been gone for a long while now. Yes, that is why then that I am saddened, That I anxiously writhe upon the ground! Watchman, watchman is the night soon over? And what shall save me from death and sin?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2016-02-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-02-01 12:50:14
Line count: 20
Word count: 156