Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ночь идёт - и темнеет Бледно-синий восток... От одежд её веет По полям ветерок. День был долог и зноен... Ночь идёт и поёт колыбельную песню И к покою зовёт. Грустен взор её тёмный, Одинок её путь... Спи-усни, моё сердце! Отдохни... Позабудь.
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin (1870 - 1953), "Ночь идёт и темнеет", written 1893 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875 - 1956), "Ночь идёт", op. 50 no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Gliere) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 41
Night approaches and it grows dark; it is only pale blue in the East. In dark garb, the spring breeze blows lightly through the fields. Day was oppressive and hot. . . . Night comes and sings a lullabye; To [the River] Rokju it calls. It is sad; look, it is dark, It is lonely… Sleep now, my heart. Rest… and forget.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Ночь идёт" = "Night approaches"
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2016 by Jennifer Gliere, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin (1870 - 1953), "Ночь идёт и темнеет", written 1893
This text was added to the website: 2016-12-28
Line count: 12
Word count: 62