Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Оттого моя арфа безмолвна висит, что плита гробовая сердце лежит, что изранен я весь и бессилен мой гнев, и звучал бы, как плач похорон, мой напев. Но придёт он, я жду, вдохновенный пророк, на челе его будет терновый венок, на руках и ногах - неповинная кровь, а не вещих устах - песнь про жизнь и любовь.
- by Pyotr Filippovich Yakubovich (1860 - 1911) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reinhold Moritzevich Glière (1875 - 1956), "Оттого моя арфа безмолвна висит", op. 10 no. 1 (1903). [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Gliere) , "My harp hangs silent", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Voilà pourquoi ma harpe est accrochée silencieuse", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 56
My harp hangs silent for a gravestone lies on my heart, for I am covered in wounds and my anger is powerless, and my sound would have sounded like a funeral dirge. But the inspired prophet comes; I will wait, on his brow will be a thorny crown, on his hands and feet the innocent blood, and on his prophetic lips a song of life and love.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2017 by Jennifer Gliere, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-02-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 67