Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Les cieux resplendissants d'Étoiles Aux radieux frissonnements, Ressemblent à des flots dormants Que sillonnent de blanches voiles. Quand l'azur déchire ses voiles, Nous voyons les bleus firmaments, Les cieux resplendissant d'Étoiles, Aux radieux frissonnements. Quel peintre mettra sur ses toiles, O dieu! leurs clairs fourmillements, Ces fournaises de diamants Qu'à nos yeux ravis tu dévoiles, Les cieux resplendissants d'Étoiles?
- by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "Les étoiles", appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 19, first published 1875 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "Les étoiles", from Douze rondels, no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Koechlin (1867 - 1950), "Les étoiles" [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Marguerite Roesgen-Champion (1894 - 1976), "Les étoiles" [ vocal duet with piano ], Éd. de la compositrice [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "The Stars", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:20
Line count: 13
Word count: 59
The heavens are resplendent with stars Radiantly shimmering, Looking like sleeping waves That furrow white sails. When the sky tears up its sails, We see the blue heavens, The heavens are resplendent with stars Radiantly shimmering. What painter will put on his canvas, O god! their clear twinkling, These furnaces of diamonds What do you reveal to our delighted eyes, Heavens resplendent with stars?
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "Les étoiles", appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 19, first published 1875
Text added to the website: 2019-09-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-09-02 12:21:31
Line count: 13
Word count: 64