Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Les cieux resplendissants d'Étoiles Aux radieux frissonnements, Ressemblent à des flots dormants Que sillonnent de blanches voiles. Quand l'azur déchire ses voiles, Nous voyons les bleus firmaments, Les cieux resplendissant d'Étoiles, Aux radieux frissonnements. Quel peintre mettra sur ses toiles, O dieu! leurs clairs fourmillements, Ces fournaises de diamants Qu'à nos yeux ravis tu dévoiles, Les cieux resplendissants d'Étoiles?
- by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "Les étoiles", written 1875, appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 19, Paris, Édition Charpentier, first published 1878 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "Les étoiles", published 1899 [ high voice and piano ], from Douze rondels, no. 9, Paris, Éd. Heugel [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Charles Koechlin (1867 - 1950), "Les étoiles", op. 14 no. 8, published 1905? [ soprano, chorus, piano ], from Rondels 3ème série, no. 8, Éd. L. Philippo [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Marguerite Roesgen-Champion (1894 - 1976), "Les étoiles" [ vocal duet with piano ], Éd. de la compositrice [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "The Stars", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 13
Word count: 59
The heavens are resplendent with stars Radiantly shimmering, Looking like sleeping waves That furrow white sails. When the sky tears up its sails, We see the blue heavens, The heavens are resplendent with stars Radiantly shimmering. What painter will put on his canvas, O god! their clear twinkling, These furnaces of diamonds What do you reveal to our delighted eyes, Heavens resplendent with stars?
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Théodore Faullin de Banville (1823 - 1891), "Les étoiles", written 1875, appears in Les Exilés, in Rondels, no. 19, Paris, Édition Charpentier, first published 1878
This text was added to the website: 2019-09-02
Line count: 13
Word count: 64