Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hörst du, wie die Stürme sausen Durch den blätterlosen Wald? Hörst du, wie die Fluten brausen, Wie es um die Ufer hallt? Auf dein Antlitz sinke nieder, Denn die Gottheit zieht daher; Hohe Hallelujalieder Singt der Sturm und singt das Meer.
Confirmed with Dichtungen von Hermann Allmers, Bremen: J.G. Heyse's Verlag, 1860, page 24
- by Hermann Allmers (1821 - 1902), "Novemberfeier" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Kahn (1865 - 1951), "Novemberfeier", op. 20 (Sechs Lieder und Gesänge) no. 2 (1894), published 1894. [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by B. von Kettler , "Novemberfeier", published 1900 [voice and piano], from [Sechs] Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, no. 3, Berlin, Ries & Erler [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "November celebration", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor] , Peter Eichenseher
This text was added to the website: 2008-11-02
Line count: 8
Word count: 41
Do you hear how the storms roar Through the leafless forest? Do you hear how the waters rush, How it echoes along the shores? Sink down and hide your face, For the divinity is passing by; High songs of hallelujah Sings the storm and sings the sea.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2017-11-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 47