Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Staunend sahen wir das große Pferd. Es durchbrach das Dach unserer Stube. Der bewölkte Himmel zog sich schwach entlang des gewaltigen Umrisses, und rauschend flog die Mähne im Wind.
- by Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Peter) Alexander Goehr (b. 1932), "Staunend sahen wir das große Pferd", op. 41 no. 3 (1979) [ voice and piano ], from Das Gesetz der Quadrille, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by György Kurtág (b. 1926), "Staunend sahen wir das große Pferd", op. 24 no. 3k (1985-6) [ soprano and violin ], from Kafka-Fragmente, no. 3k [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "We were amazed to see the large horse", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Étonnés nous avons vu le grand cheval", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2008-07-14
Line count: 5
Word count: 29
We were amazed to see the large horse. It broke through the roof of our bedroom. The billowy canopy dragged weakly along its massive silhouette, and its mane whipped in the wind.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-01-08
Line count: 5
Word count: 32