Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Weit aus allen dunkeln Talen Kommt der süße Amselschlag, Und mein Herz in stummen Qualen Lauscht und zittert bis zum Tag. Lange, mondbeglänzte Stunden Liegt mein Sehnen auf der Wacht, Leidet an geheimen Wunden Und verblutet in die Nacht. Eine Geige in den Gärten Klagt herauf mit weichem Strich, Und ein tiefes Müdewerden Kommt erlösend über mich. Fremder Saitenspieler drunten, Der so weich und dunkel klagt, Wo hast du das Lied gefunden, Das mein ganzes Sehnen sagt?
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 112-113.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", written 1902, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Buch der Liebe, first published 1919 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolf Brömel (b. 1877), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", published 1945-8 [ voice and piano ], from Hermann Hesse Lieder, no. 12 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Grabner (1886 - 1969), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", 1950/1 [ voice and piano ], from Acht Hermann Hesse-Lieder, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Lothar Hundertmark (1902 - 1985), as Mark Lothar, "Eine Geige in den Gärten", op. 67 no. 3, published 1967 [ voice and instrumental ensemble ], from Musik des Einsamen - Ein Liederzyklus für Gesang und 7 Instrumente, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Christian Knayer (1876 - 1932), "Eine Geige in den Gärten" [ high voice and piano ], from Zwei Lieder von Hermann Hesse für hohe Stimme, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Owens (1925 - 2017), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", op. 20 (3 Lieder) no. 2 [ baritone and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by V. D. Patrick , "Eine Geige in den Gärten ", <<1956 [ voice and piano ], from Vier Lieder, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Schmiedel (b. 1921), "Eine Geige in den Gärten ", 1983 [ voice and guitar ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", op. 42a no. 7 (1977) [ medium voice and piano ], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Werner Wehrli (1892 - 1944), "Eine Geige in den Gärten ", op. 23 no. 2 (1926), published 1928 [ low voice, violin, and piano ], from Fünf Gesänge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "A violin in the gardens", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Un violon dans les jardins", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-01
Line count: 16
Word count: 77
Far from out of all dark valleys Comes the sweet call of the blackbird, And, in mute agonies, my heart Listens and trembles until daybreak. For long, moonlit hours My yearning keeps watch, Suffers from secret wounds, And bleeds to death into the night. A violin in the gardens Rises lamentingly with a softly drawn bow, And a deep becoming-weary Comes over me like a redemption. Unknown string player down there, Who laments so softly and darkly, Where did you find the song That speaks my whole yearning?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Eine Geige in den Gärten", written 1902, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Buch der Liebe, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2018-04-20
Line count: 16
Word count: 88