Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Weint nicht, ihr Äuglein! Wie kann so trübe weinen vor Eifersucht, wer tödtet durch Liebe? Wer selbst Tod bringt, der sollt' ihn ersehnen? Sein Lächeln bezwingt was trotzt seinen Tränen. Weint nicht, ihr Äuglein! Wie kann so trübe weinen vor Eifersucht, wer tödtet durch Liebe?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Spanisches Liederbuch, in 2. Weltliche Lieder, no. 18 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Weint nicht, ihr Äuglein", 1889-90, from Spanisches Liederbuch: Weltliche Lieder, no. 29. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Do not cry, little eyes!", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ne pleurez pas, petits yeux", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2003-11-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:00
Line count: 12
Word count: 45
Do not cry, little eyes! How can anyone so gloomily Cry with jealousy Who kills with love? Anyone who brings death himself, Should he long for it? His smile wins over Anyone that defies his tears. Do not cry, little eyes! How can anyone so gloomily Cry with jealousy Who kills with love?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914), no title, appears in Spanisches Liederbuch, in 2. Weltliche Lieder, no. 18
Text added to the website: 2018-04-23 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-04-23 16:14:15
Line count: 12
Word count: 53