Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Es ist immer derselbe Traum: Ein rotblühender Kastanienbaum, Ein Garten, voll von Sonnenflor, Einsam ein altes Haus davor. Dort, wo der stille Garten liegt, Hat meine Mutter mich gewiegt; Vielleicht - es ist so lange her - Steht Garten, Haus und Baum nicht mehr. Vielleicht geht jetzt ein Wiesenweg Und Pflug und Egge drüber weg, Von Heimat, Garten, Haus und Baum Ist nichts geblieben als mein Traum.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 108.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Traum", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Oskar Baumann , "Traum", op. 310 (Hermann Hesse-Lieder, 3. Folge) no. 6 (1947) [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Blankenburg , "Traum", 1948 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Traum" [ high voice and piano ], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 19 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Géza Frid (1904 - 1989), "Traum", op. 59 no. 1, published 1960 [ voice and piano ], from Abschied, liederencyclus, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Hoyer (1891 - 1936), "Traum", op. 27 (Drei Gesänge) no. 2, published 1932 [ high voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Traum", op. 97 no. 7 (1942+?), from Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Krause (1889 - ?), "Traum", op. 48 no. 8 [ voice and piano ], from Zwölf Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Schlaud (1912 - 1967), "Traum ", published 1951 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Schmiedel (b. 1921), "Traum ", 1983 [ voice and guitar ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fried Walter (1907 - 1996), "Traum ", 1977 [ baritone or mezzo-soprano and piano ], from Sechs Lieder aus dem Tessin durch die Jahreszeiten, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Oskar Viktor Zack (1882 - 1963), "Traum ", published 1927 [ soprano and four-part men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Zentner (b. 1903), "Traum ", published 1954 [ four-part mixed chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Dream", subtitle: "(1901)", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Rêve", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 67
It is ever the same dream: A chestnut tree with red blossoms, A garden full of gauzy sunlight, And solitary, an old house in the foreground. There where the quiet garden lies, My mother rocked me; Perhaps - it is so long ago - The garden, house, and tree are no longer standing. Perhaps it is now traversed by a meadow path, And plow and cultivator pass over it; Of home, garden, house, and tree Nothing remains but my dream.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Traum", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-15
Line count: 12
Word count: 80