Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Über mir im Blauen reisen Wolken, die mich heimwärts weisen. Heimwärts in die namenlose Ferne, In das Land des Friedens und der Sterne. Heimat! Soll ich deine blauen Schönen Ufer niemals schauen? Dennoch ist mir, hier im Süden müßten Nah sein und erreichbar deine Küsten.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 98-99.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Fiesole", written 1901, first published <<1915 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ferdinand Carl Jungwirth , "Über mir im Blauen reisen", 1934. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Krause (1889 - ?), "Fiesole", op. 30 no. 2, published 1962 [voice and piano], from Sieben Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Leukauf (1902 - 1978), "Fiesole", 1947 [medium voice and piano], from Hesse-Lieder für mittlere Stimme, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Richard Maux (1893 - 1971), "Fiesole", op. 181 no. 2 (1928), published 1941 [high voice or medium-high voice and piano], from Italische Reise, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Fiesole", op. 42a no. 4 (1977) [medium voice and piano], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Fiesole", op. 11 no. 14, published 1925 [voice and piano], from Zweiter Liederkreis - 15 Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 14. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Zintl (1903 - 1987), "Fiesole", 1950. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
In the blue above me travel Clouds that point the way home for me. Homeward into the nameless distance, Into the land of peace and of stars. Homeland! Shall I never see Your lovely, blue shores? Nevertheless it seems to me that here in the south Your coasts must be near and reachable.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Fiesole" = "Fiesole"
"Über mir im Blauen reisen" = "In the blue above me travel"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Fiesole", written 1901, first published <<1915
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-19
Line count: 8
Word count: 53