Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn wir jetzt die Heimat wieder sehen, Gehen wir bezaubert durch die Stuben, Bleiben lang im alten Garten stehen, Wo wir einst gespielt als wilde Buben. Und von jenen Herrlichkeiten allen, Die wir draußen in der Welt erbeutet, Will uns keine freun mehr und gefallen, Wenn daheim die Kirchenglocke läutet. Stille gehen wir die alten Wege Durch das grüne Land der Kindertage, Und sie werden uns im Herzen rege[,] Fremd und groß wie eine schöne Sage. Ach, und alles, was auf uns mag warten, Wird den reinen Glanz doch nicht mehr haben Wie vorzeiten, da wir noch als Knaben Falter fingen, jeder Tag im Garten.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 209-210.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Meinem Bruder", written c1911 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Bruno Straumann (1889 - 1973), "Meinem Bruder", 1927 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Justus Hermann Wetzel (1879 - 1973), "Meinem Bruder ", op. 11 no. 11, published 1925 [ voice and piano ], from Zweiter Liederkreis - 15 Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 11 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "To my brother", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "À mon frère", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-06-14
Line count: 16
Word count: 105
When we now see our home again, We walk enchanted through the rooms, We stop and stand for a long time in the old garden Where we once played as wild boys. And of all those treasures That we amassed out in the world, None brings us joy or pleases us any longer When the church bells ring at home. Quietly we walk the old paths Through the green land of childhood days, And they all become animated in our hearts, Strange and large as a beautiful legend. Ah, and everything that may still await us Shall nevertheless no longer have that pure radiance As when in times past, we as boys were still Catching butterflies every day in the garden.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Meinem Bruder", written c1911
This text was added to the website: 2019-02-09
Line count: 16
Word count: 121