Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Das Mädchen Vorüber! Ach, vorüber! Geh wilder Knochenmann! Ich bin noch jung, geh Lieber! Und rühre mich nicht an. Der Tod Gib deine Hand, Du [schön und zart]1 Gebild! Bin Freund, und komme nicht, zu strafen. Sey gutes [Muths]2! ich bin nicht wild, Sollst sanft in meinen Armen schlafen!
Confirmed with ASMUS omnia sua SECUM portans, oder Sämmtliche Werke des Wandsbecker Bothen, I. und II. Theil. Beym Verfasser, und in Commißion bey Fr. Perthes in Hamburg. , page 199; and with Poetische Blumenlese Auf das Jahr 1775. Göttingen und Gotha bey Johann Christian Dieterich, page 157.
See also Josef von Spaun's response to Schubert's song: "Der Jüngling und der Tod".1 Claudius (Musenalmanach): "zart und schön"
2 Claudius (ASMUS): "Muhts" (apparently misprint)
- by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "Der Tod und das Mädchen" [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Der Tod und das Mädchen", op. 7 (Drei Lieder) no. 3, D 531 (1817), published 1821 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- AFR Afrikaans [singable] (Robert Schall) , "Die Dood en die Meisie", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "La Mort i la donzella", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De dood en het meisje", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Death and the Maiden", copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Robert Schall) , "Death and the Maiden", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La jeune fille et la mort", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "An Bás agus an Ainnir", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "La Morte e la fanciulla", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , "La Muerte y la Doncella", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 49
The maiden Away! Please, disappear! Away, wild man of bone! I am still young, go, dear! And leave me well alone. Death Give me your hand, you form so fair and mild! I come as friend and mean no harm. Be of good cheer! I am not wild, you shall sleep gently in my arm!
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Robert Schall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthias Claudius (1740 - 1815), "Der Tod und das Mädchen"
This text was added to the website: 2021-10-09
Line count: 10
Word count: 55