Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Im Winterboden schläft ein Blumenkeim der Schmetterling, der einst um Busch und Hügel in Frühlingsnächten wiegt den sammt'nen Flügel; nie soll er kosten deinen Honigseim. Wer aber weiß, ob nicht sein zarter Geist, wenn jede Zier des Sommers hingesunken, dereinst, von deinem leisen Duftetrunken, mir unsichtbar, dich blühende umkreist?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Günter Klinzing (b. 1930), "Auf eine Christblume II", published 1995 [high voice and piano], from Vier Gedichte zu den Jahreszeiten von Eduard Mörike, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wolfgang Ulrich (1924 - 1995), "Christblume", 1984. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Auf eine Christblume II", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 21. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "To a Christmas rose II", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "À une rose de Noël II", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Sur une rose de Noël II", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "A un elleboro II", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 49
A flower's germ sleeps in the winter soil, The butterfly that, round bush and hill, Will sway its velvety wings in spring nights; It shall never taste your nectar. Who ever knows, if its delicate spirit, After the summer's beauty has swooned, Will not one day, drunk with your soft scent, Invisible to me, circle around you in bloom.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2004 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2004-09-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 59