Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O Nacht, du Sternenbronnen, ich bade Leib und Geist in deinen tausend Sonnen-- O Nacht, die mich umfleußt mit Offenbarungswonnen, ergib mir, was du weißt! O Nacht, du tiefer Bronnen ...
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Christian Morgenstern, Wir fanden einen Pfad. Gedichte, München: R. Piper & Co Verlag, 1966, page 13
- by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "O Nacht...", appears in Wir fanden einen Pfad [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Marius Flothuis (1914 - 2001), "O Nacht", op. 3 (Vier liederen) no. 3 (1938), orchestrated 1939. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Paul Hermann Franz Graener (1872 - 1944), "O Nacht, du tiefer Bronnen", op. 50 (Vier Lieder) no. 1. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "O Nacht", op. 59 (Sechs Lieder nach Gedichten von Christian Morgenstern) no. 2 (1928), published 1934. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Mathilde von Kralik (1857 - 1944), "O Nacht", 1929. [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Ernest Vietor (fl. 1905-1930), "O Nacht", op. 11 no. 14 (1933-4). [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Henri Zagwijn (1878 - 1954), "O Nacht", 1918. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Oh night", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Ô nuit", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2004-11-24
Line count: 7
Word count: 31
Oh night, you fount of stars, Body and mind lave In your thousand suns -- Oh night, that floods around me With bliss of revelation, Reveal to me, what you know! Oh night, you deep fount ...
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2004 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "O Nacht...", appears in Wir fanden einen Pfad
This text was added to the website: 2004-11-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 36