Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Hätt ich irgend wohl Bedenken, Balch, Bokhara, Samarkand, Süßes Liebchen, dir zu schenken Dieser Städte Rausch und Tand? Aber frag einmal den Kaiser, Ob er dir die Städte gibt? Er ist herrlicher und weiser; Doch er weiß nicht, wie man liebt. Herrscher, zu dergleichen Gaben Nimmermehr bestimmst du dich! Solch ein Mädchen muß man haben Und ein Bettler sein wie ich.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Hätt ich irgend wohl Bedenken", 1888, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 43, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "Would I even think twice about it?", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Credi che potrei esitare", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
Would I even think twice about it? Balkh, Bukhara, Samarkand. Dear love, imagine me presenting you with these cities, their thrills and their trinkets. Or how about asking the emperor if he will give you these towns? He is grander and wiser; but he doesn't know how to love. Your majesty, giving such presents is something you will never bring yourself to do. For this, you have to have such a girl and you have to be a beggar, like me.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
Text added to the website: 2006-03-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:17
Line count: 12
Word count: 81