Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Großer Brahma! Nun erkenn ich, Daß du Schöpfer bist der Welten! Dich als meinen Herrscher nenn ich; Denn du läßest alle gelten. Und verschließest auch dem Letzten Keines von den tausend Ohren; Uns, die tief herabgesetzten, Alle hast du neu geboren. Wendet euch zu dieser Frauen, Die der Schmerz zur Göttin wandelt! Nun beharr ich anzuschauen Den, der einzig wirkt und handelt.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Dank des Paria" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Dank des Paria", op. 58 no. 3 (1836), from Paria, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Dank des Paria", 1888-9, published 1891 [voice and piano], from Goethe-Lieder, no. 30, Mainz, Schott [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Knut W. Barde) , title 1: "Pariah's prayer of thanks", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Action de grâce du paria", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Ringraziamento del Paria", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 62
Great Brahma! Now I realize That you are the creator of worlds! I name you as my Lord; Because you value everyone. Even towards the least You do not close your thousand ears; We, who are placed at the very bottom, all you have born anew. Go ahead and turn towards this woman, A goddess formed by pain! Now I insist to look upon you Who alone creates and acts.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Knut W. Barde, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Dank des Paria"
This text was added to the website: 2006-03-24
Line count: 12
Word count: 70